Since I'm jealous of everyone currently attending the 2016 San Francisco Pen Show, I'm not going to link to any of their recaps or updates in protest. Just kidding. It looks like a great time out there in San Francisco this weekend, and there's a lot of great reading for this last hot Sunday in August.
- One Year of Fountain Pens Australia. A huge congratulations to the Fountain Pens Australia community, celebrating its first anniversary and announcing the launch of a biweekly podcast, The Best of Tines. (Great name, btw.) Dr. Deans of Fountain Pen Economics wrote this excellent summary of the group. Also check out Pete Denison's thoughts on FPA, in his piece, "Belonging - At Any Level." Congrats guys!
- San Francisco Pen Show. Ana at the Well-Appointed Desk wins first prize for getting her initial show impressions out the door in record time! I really, really wish I was at this pen show. Next Year! Ana also got to visit Facebook's offices with Andy Welfle.
- Bookbinder's Everglades Rat Snake. Mike from Inkdependence reviews the orange entry in Bookbinder's "Snake Ink" Series. I need to get my hands on some of these inks.
- Sheaffer Balance. Ron Gilmour continues his vintage pen series for the Pen Addict, and this time he looks at the classic Sheaffer Balance.
- Pentel Tradio Energel. Ed Jelley takes a look at the Pentel Tradio Energel. I love Energels, especially the needle-tip variety.
A Huge Thank You to My Sponsors
Please take a moment to visit my sponsors, who help keep this blog going!
- Pen Chalet. Pen Chalet has a wide variety of available pens and offers unbeatable value on pens, inks, pen cases, etc. Among other things, they have a great deal on the Parker Sonnet Great Expectations Edition with a Parker Notepad at 50% off.
- Anderson Pens. In addition to having the largest offering of bottled ink in the world, Anderson Pens is an authorized retailer of Sailor's Bespoke line (one of only three worldwide). They also recently added Robert Oster Inks to their lineup.
- KustomHaus. KustomHaus is your source for custom wax seals, sealing wax, and related supplies. If you sign up for their newsletter you can get 10% off your first order.
- Tom Barrington Leather Goods. Tom Barrington recently sent me one of their Ostrich leather pen sleeves to review, and it's a stunner. Look for a review in the coming weeks.
- Dudek Modern Goods. If you haven't already, you should head on over to Dudek Modern Goods and check out Mike's handmade wooden pen holders and pen rests.
This Week's Deals and Drops
My weekly summary of good prices and promotional deals from around the web.
- Levenger TrueWriter Fountain Pen. (via Massdrop)
- Lamy 2000 in Extra Fine. (via Amazon)
- Pilot Custom 823 Transparent Black Demonstrator. A Japan-only model unavailable it the States. (Via Amazon)
- Clairefontaine French-Ruled Notebooks. People ask me all the time where to get Clairefontaine French or Seyes-ruled Notebooks. Here's a nice packaged deal with both wire and clothbound notebooks. (via Massdrop)
- Lamy Pico Pocket Ballpoint. (via Amazon)
- Fisher Space Pen Matte Black with Clip Gift Set. My first Fisher Space Pen, and I recently ordered more. (via Amazon)
- More variants on the Fisher Space Pen. I'm getting a little obsessed. Here's the Cap-O-Matic, and the Original Astronaut Click Pen. Yes, you can get fine point refills for the space pen. (via Amazon)
- Schneider Fineliner Pens from Germany. I haven't seen these before, and I love fineliners. (via Massdrop)
- CM Storm Quickfire Keyboard. If you're interested in trying a mechanical keyboard, a few models of this compact CoolerMaster keyboard is available at a very reasonable price, with the option of blue, brown, red, or green switches. (via Amazon)
Sign Up For Digital Divide So You Don't Miss the Next Issue
"Digital Divide" is my monthly newsletter devoted to discussing the divide between the "digital" and "analog" parts of our lives, the benefits of making time for analog tools and workflows, and why people draw the line where they do. If The Gentlemen Stationer is the "What" (as in, "what tools do I use"), Digital Divide is the "How" and the "Why." Issue 6 of Digital Divide discusses the concept of burnout, which has really made the rounds on podcasts and blogs recently. If you're not a subscriber to Digital Divide, and would like to join up, use the link on the sidebar. Going forward, Digital Divide will be subscriber-only. I will not be posting a link to the full-length Digital Divide newsletter on The Gentleman Stationer, though I may post an excerpt.
In Case You Missed It …
This week on the blog, I reviewed J. Herbin's new 1670 Anniversary Ink, Caroube de Chypre, and also reviewed the Pilot Custom 823 Fountain Pen.
I have a lot of great content lined up for the weeks and months ahead, and I'm excited about where things are headed with the blog. As always, thanks for reading!
Disclaimer: This blog post contains affiliate links.