A short weekend for me, as I returned from a work trip that stretched into Saturday. Ugh. At least I had plenty of time to get caught up on my feeds while touring various East Coast airports.
- Kaweco Special Dip Pen. Ana from the Well-Appointed Desk reviews Kaweco's newest offering in the "Special" line. I've been looking for a nice dip pen to do ink reviews and samples. This might be it.
- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog. Visconti's limited edition Homo Sapiens demonstrators haven't captivated me in the same way that the lava versions do, but this one is a gorgeous pen. Susan Pigott at the Pen Addict reviews a pen that I ALMOST bought at the D.C. Pen Show.
- Fuji Instax Mini 70. Speaking of other things that I've almost purchased, Jenny over at the Finer Point reviews this Fuji Instax camera, which she uses to enhance her journals. This speaks to me, as I was a HUGE polaroid user back in the day.
- Aurora Optima Giveaway. The Pen Habit is giving away an Aurora Optima, courtesy of Kenro Industries. Don't miss out on this one! If you're curious about the Optima, check out my review here.
- Montblanc Ultra Black. Ray from FPQuest reviews the new limited edition Montblanc Ultra Black Ink. I agree with him that the dry time and smudging are potential issues that may keep this ink out of my everyday rotation. I like the color, though.
- Visconti Rembrandt. Ian at Pens!Paper!Pencils! reviews the Visconti Rembrandt. I've never used one of these steel-nib Viscontis. The price point creates a potential issue for me, but the pen itself is very nice looking.
Visit My Sponsors
Please take a moment to visit my sponsors, who help keep this blog going!
- Papernery. Papernery offers a curated selection of pens, pencils, and paper (including Field Notes singles!). Gary also runs the blog Notegeist, which you all should visit.
- Pen Chalet. Pen Chalet has a wide variety of available pens and offers unbeatable value on pens, inks, pen cases, etc.
- Anderson Pens. In addition to having the largest offering of bottled ink in the world, Anderson Pens is an authorized retailer of Sailor's Bespoke line (one of only three worldwide). Check out the recent sponsor profile I published here.
- KustomHaus. KustomHaus is your source for custom wax seals, sealing wax, and related supplies. If you sign up for their newsletter you can get 10% off your first order.
- Tom Barrington Leather Goods. Tom Barrington recently sent me one of their Ostrich leather pen sleeves to review, and it's a stunner. I recently reviewed it on the blog (link below).
- Dudek Modern Goods. If you haven't already, you should head on over to Dudek Modern Goods and check out Mike's handmade wooden pen holders and pen rests.
Deals and Drops
My obsession this week was with gel pens, if you couldn't tell, so that's the main theme from this week's deals and drops.
- Pilot G2 in assorted colors. The burgundy Pilot G2 is my new obsession, and I'm going to test out the other colors as well.
- Uniball Signo 307 Micro Point. Uniball recently released their newest offering in a .5mm version.
- Uniball Signo 207 Ultra Micro. Stock up on the good 'ol Signo 207 here, with the Ultra Micro coming in at roughly a buck a pen.
- Pentel Energel Needle Point. Another favorite of mine. Energel smoothness FTW.
- Pilot Juice 12 Color Set. The Juice isn't my favorite Pilot refill, but it fits any G2 compatible pen body and comes in an array of crazy colors.
- Pilot G2 Limited, Pentel Energel Alloy, and Stainless Steel Sharpie. I will sing the praises of these three pens until every one of you has at least one of these in your daily carry arsenal. If you don't have a lot of money to spend and want to upgrade from a disposable plastic click pen, these are all great options. I use one of these on a near-daily basis.
- Roher & Klingner Ink 3-pack. Last chance, ending soon! (via Massdrop)
- Bungbox Ink 2-pack. Grab a discount on these Japanese-exclusive inks. (via Massdrop)
- Pelikan Souveran M805 Stresemann at a nice price (via Massdrop)
- Pelikan Souveran M400 White Tortoise. The M400 Brown Tortoise is coming soon, so grab a white one to complete your set. (via Massdrop)
A New Issue of Digital Divide is Out!
"Digital Divide" is my monthly newsletter devoted to discussing the divide between the "digital" and "analog" parts of our lives, the benefits of making time for analog tools and workflows, and why people draw the line where they do. If The Gentlemen Stationer is the "What" (as in, "what tools do I use"), Digital Divide is the "How" and the "Why." Issue 7 of Digital Divide talks about hobbies: namely, why we have hobbies, why they're important, and why they're in danger of disappearing. To subscribe to Digital Divide, use the link on the sidebar. If you're not sure whether it's something you're interested in, check out Issue No. 6 ("Burnout") and Issue No. 5 ("Cleaning House").
In Case You Missed It …
This week on the blog I reviewed my favorite gel pen, the Pilot G2 (which turned out to be a controversial choice), and a brown ostrich leather pen case from Tom Barrington Leather goods.
Disclaimer: This blog post contains affiliate links.